Coffee.org-Save up to 20% on Your Favorite Coffee

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

gigi--the Best in Miami Gourmet


I can always find things wrong with a restaurant, but lunch today at gigi was as close to perfect as I can imagine. The only thing I could find wrong was the acoustics; it gets pretty loud when it fills up, and it was close to filled the entire time we enjoyed our long lunch.

The idea behind gigi is fresh, small, tapas-like plates. If you're dining with friends, you order several different dishes and share, which is my favorite type of dining (even if I'm in a fine restaurant, my fork has been known to show up in my dining partner's plate). With a little help from my dining companion, we ordered the tandoori chicken bun (the bread was a cross between Naan and a chinese bun and was heavenly, filled with chopped cucumber, tandoori chicken and a fresh mint flavor); a local greens salad with a mild miso vinaigrette dressing; Homestead Heirloom tomato salad (colorful heirloom tomatoes with cucumber, hearts of palm, thai basil with a dressing that I couldn't get enough of; fresh tuna salad plate--my least favorite dish, but I don't care for tuna so I'm not much of a judge to rely on; shitake mushrooms in a sticky soy sauce with a hot aftertaste, and the Florida fish (cobia) in black bean sauce, jasmine rice and spring vegetables. It sounds like a lot of food but it was light and refreshing.


gigi is at the corner of N. Miami and NW 35th Street in Miami with plenty of free parking in the back. The decor is funky, as you would expect it to be, planted in the middle of Miami's Design District, and it's just a fun place to be. One of the contrasts that I liked that wine was served in water glasses and water was served to the table in wine bottles. Jars of huge cookies were offered on the bar as well as a regular dessert menu.

Would I recommend gigi? Oh yes! Again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment